Join us THIS WEEKEND for the first ever Great Plains Sew-Down shop hop!! Our theme is SUGAR RUSH!! We will have a free quilt block, treats, door prizes, and of course a fabulous sale: ALL large aurifil spools are just $8. (Limit one of each color per person.) If you visit all seven shops participating in the shop hop, you could possibly win a Baby lock Amelia quilting machine. It's going to be a great weekend, we hope we will see you there! Pick up a shop hop map and more info at our store, or visit the shop hop facebook page: www.facebook.com/greatplainssewdownshophop
Elizabeth was thrilled to be featured this past week as a "Mompreneurs" by both the Kansas City Mom's Blog, and Allison Corrin Photography. The series focuses on five local business that are owned by Moms. Allison came to the shop one morning this summer, and in less than an hour managed to capture the essence of the business with both her words and her amazing images! With the exception of one family hug, none of the pictures are staged. The kids play a very active role in the shop, and have been dubbed the "mini-maker" and the "mess-maker." No doubt many of you have met them along with Mr. Maker when you visit our shop- it truly is a family business! The article also discusses the community among those of us who were born to "make" and the importance of sharing the craft you love with others who have similar passions.
Read the features here, and here.
We have begun sign-ups for the Destash and already have well over 100 bundles coming to the sale! Be sure to come in and sign up if you would like to participate, the more the merrier. To answer a few more questions, you do NOT need to be present on the 13th in order to Destash. You may drop off your fabrics anytime between now and the sale. Also, vintage sheet fabrics will be allowed in the sale, as long as they are clearly marked.
Below is an example of the information that should be included in the label. We suggest using 1" x 3" sticky labels that can be purchased at any office supply store or Target/Walmart etc., but you are welcome to devise your own labels so long as all of the information is included.
Let us know if you have forgotten or misplaced your Destash Number! If you are on Instagram, be sure to hashtag any pictures of what you are bringing to the sale as #destashrestash so we can all get excited about what goodies await!
Mark your calendars now for a fun event that you won't want to miss: the first ever Destash Restash will happen at Modern Makers on August 13th at 6:30pm! Do you have piles of gorgeous designer fabric that you have fallen out of love with? Perhaps you've thought of de-stashing on Etsy or Instagram but are intimidated by the process. Or, maybe you are new to sewing and looking to build your stash. Or perhaps like me, and can't pass up a good deal or a chance to add a hard to find fabric to your treasured collection. No matter what the state of your fabric stash, you are welcome to participate in this event! Here is how it will work:
1. Anyone can sign up to sell your designer-quality quilting cotton weight fabrics. Fabrics from discount stores (Joann's, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby, etc.) are not allowed.
2. Come by the store between now and August 10th to sign up. You will receive a number, bags to package your fabric, and instructions on creating labels.
3. You set your price! Modern Makers will process all sales, and you will retain 85% of your total sales. Payments will be sent though Paypal by August 15th.
4. Drop off your fabric by 6:15 pm on August 13th, then stay to shop! Doors open for shopping at 6:30 and the event will continue until the last person has been rung up. No sales of regular merchandise will occur during the Stash Swap.
5. Pick up your unsold fabric by the end of the month, or designate it to be donated to Fabric Recycles. Any unsold fabrics that have not been collected by the deadline will be donated.
6. All sales are FINAL. Please do NOT sell fabric with stains, odd smells, a square missing from the middle, etc., etc. If we receive complaints about your merchandise, we retain the right to exclude you from future Stash Swaps.
7. You don't have to sell to shop! Bring your friends!
Sounds fun, right? Any questions? Feel free to leave a comment on this post and we will get back with you.